Boy, did I have my work cut out for me in this shoot! This was the single, biggest challenge I've had since I started photography. I've done twins before, but one-year- old twins are a whole different breed! Every time I got one in a good position, the other would move or jump or scream or push or tug and the worse--dive off a chair! Thank God for mom's quick hands and mine too, we managed to avert any serious injury! Forget being a photographer in this shoot. I was mom, assistant, silly-song singer and fitness queen! We were also short on time because mom had to get to work. So here are my lessons:
1. Avoid shooting around nap-time. Sleepy babies will not cooperate. Why? Because they are sleepy!
2. Tell parents to make an entire morning of the shoot and just treat it as a play-date, so there's no pressure.
3. Don't put too much thought into planned shots. Just capture their beauty at this age.
4. Bump the shutter speed all the way up to catch their constant movement.
5. Have an assistant on hand. There's no way to keep them from danger and do your job.
6. Wear your grungiest clothes. There's plenty of running, squatting, diving and kneeling involved!
7. Be patient. Sing silly songs, turn on music. Dance. One-year-old kids like that and guess what? So do 41-year-olds!
If you think I'm exaggerating, take a look! Don't let the first picture fool you. One minute, everyone's happy and the next, well...you'll see.
And now for a shot that just cracked me up! Feel free to form your own opinion of this shot, but I couldn't stop laughing!
And finally, here a few of my favorites!